Mission

As a UX designer my role was to analyze and propose recommendations to improve the user experience: usability, ease of use, information architecture and accessibility of the website Hosting and Domains

THE PROJECT

The project was to do a UX Analysis, from a front end a usability perspective. The front end of the page, the purchased flow, and the account management were not intuitive and difficult to understand. How can we improve the website, what was working? What wasn't? To do that I follow a User center design approach and also apply some research methodologies: Market comparison, heuristic evaluation, and qualitative feedback.




ANALYSIS

Understand

My first step was to understand what was the website about. Do some competitive and comparative analysis, understand the context and the users. Try to get to know as much as I can about the subject and the users.

Findings

Once I have a better idea of the business and the context. I was able to start analysing the website, based on my research and the knowledge adquired.
Some mayor problems came up:
- Poor Information Architecture
- Usability problems
- Poor visual design and aesthetics
- Poor customer service
- Language too technical for the customer
- Lack of dialogue with the customer
- Painful domain register and pruchase flow

Personas & Scenarios

To understand better and start the conception phase; I did a survey: I asked some demographics, I asked if the customer was familiar with new technologies, if the client knew what is a hosting and a domain. We also ask if finding information was easy and what they will improve. We also define few scenarios that will help us later to determine the purchase flow.

CONCEPTION

AI

With the firs survey and the analysis. I realized that one of the biggest website pain-point was the information architecture:
I start doing some fast sketches; this method helped me to understand the interactions flows and the navigation better. The exercise of sketching flows contributes to understand and define the information architecture and classify the information. For the first delivery phase, the focus was the website front.

Early Proto & Feedback

Once we have a paper prototyping, I was able to do some guerrilla usability testing. I approach people that are familiar with technology and ask them what they understand from the home page, what they think they can do, I ask them to achieve some tasks, and I took feedback from them. I was now able to do another iteration of the website. For now, I was focusing on the front. My second challenge was the account administration

Iterate & Test

Next step was to take the feedback given during the guerrilla testing, and start designing something more interactive and close to the reality. Balsamiq was the tools I used to do my interactive prototyping. This was also tested with the specigic customer we were targeting. In the prototype we can see the evolution and improvements of the design. The scenarios helped to do our testing by asking the users to achieve those same scenarios. The feedback was overall positive.

The Result

- Better visual hierarchy: to understand better what is most important information on the page and what task the customer can do

- The language: the website talks directly to the customer

- Information Architecture and Navigation: the information was categorized, when clicking on one category we will have more information related to that specific service and a small description of the service. This will help the user to understand and make a better choice.

- Purchase flow and domain register: a wizard was implemented, showcasing step by step the differents information needed to do the purchased. Depending on the different scenario chosen by the customer the wizard can show specific information.

- Account management: The IA was improved by grouping functionalities and showcasing in a tab the differents actions the the customer can achieve on his account.

GALLERY